Monday, July 21, 2014

A Day of Writing with Manda (and Ben)

Today is a day off from my normal grind. Don't get me wrong, my grind is not normal, nor is it actually very grindy. It is just my typical work which is interpreting. My day today contains none of that and all of this. By "this" I mean writing.

Presently I am sitting at the local library writing at a small table with an adorable desk lamp facing my life partner Ben. (Click here to see his very own blog about writing and things.) He's kind of the champion of my own personal story. I may be the protagonist but I would just be the 'tagonist without his pro. He really helped me to see who I am, embrace it, and go forth into the world completely unabashed.

I digress.

Today we are writing, so I thought I would tell you what that looks like.

We went to a local coffee shop at first. I do love coffee shops. There is an air about them, maybe it is the smell of freshly-made coffee, maybe it is the sights and sounds of other people hard at work or visiting friends (or in some cases sales people trying a bit too hard to sell a pitch). Regardless of the reason, coffee shops make me pleased almost instantly. Today was not that day, though. We got there and it was all wrong. There was not a proper table with outlets to be sat at. There were people all around but they had the wrong aura (for lack of better and more scientific reasoning) and the baristas working were hardly friendly. Lastly, and somewhat most importantly, it was HOT. Yes CAPITAL H-O-T "hot" and that is not, by any means, an exaggeration.

Today in our lovely town it is a whopping 84* with a sexy 75% humidity which makes it hard for any regular person to remain dry of their own perspiration. It's downright gross outside. So we escape inside with hopes of something more reasonable and find, much to our chagrin, that inside is the same as outside. So we left.

We then were pulling out of the parking lot and looked into each others dreamy, albeit steamy-glassed, eyes and both said "How about a library?" in unison. The decision was made, and now you have an idea of why we are life partners, because we think on the same wavelength pretty much constantly (also he is VERY funny and the way to my heart is through laughter).

So now we sit in a library, and I am working on my novel and he is working on his... novel or blog or both? I am uncertain, because while we sit here across from one another, it is with headphones on and once in a while glancing up at the other to remind them that we do indeed feel their presence and love them fully, and then back to our own work. My headphones emit noises of "Film Scores" which is by far my favorite music to write to as it contains no words and is chock full of emotion. The current song is Magneto's theme from X-Men First Class which happens to be one of my all time favorite themes--but that's for another blog post.

So I bid you adieu on this fine Blog Monday. Having fully avoided my manuscript for the past 20 minutes while writing this out. I am hopeful that when I revisit my novel in progress, the knots I was dodging will have worked themselves out completely on their own. (Haha I can dream, can't I?)

Thanks for your readership, as always. I send this off with much love and adoration for you all.

Manda B. Mitchell
Singing off.

1 comment:

  1. When you find the right coffee shop it's magic! But libraries...libraries you can always count on. It's just a shame they don't have or don't allow snacks. That's one thing coffee shops have over libraries, you get hungry...get a muffin! (Writing makes me oh so hungry...)

    ReplyDelete